Windows Batch Files
- %0 - the command used to call the batch file (could be foo, ..\foo, c:\bats\foo, etc.)
- %1 is the first command line parameter,
- %2 is the second command line parameter,
- and so on till %9 (and SHIFT can be used for those after the 9th).
- %~nx0 - the actual name of the batch file, regardless of calling method (some-batch.bat)
- %~dp0 - drive and path to the script (d:\scripts)
- %~dpnx0 - is the fully qualified path name of the script (d:\scripts\some-batch.bat)
- %cmdcmdline% - exact command line used to start the current Cmd.exe
- When launched from a command console, this var is "%SystemRoot%\system32.cmd.exe"
- When launched from explorer this var is cmd /c ""[d:\path\script.bat]" "
Yes, you can do functions in batch files. I have another page where I put batch file functions. Windows Batch File Functions
Replace Chars in Strings
::Replace the character string 'NY' with 'WA' SET test=I love NY SET result=%test:NY=WA% ECHO %result% =I love WA
Remove Char from string
SET _no_spaces=%_some_var: =% SET _no_quotes=%_some_var:"=%
Test if string has more than or less than X Chars
If all you need is to know if there are two or less characters in a variable you can see if a substring expands to nothing:
if not defined var ( echo Var is empty! ) else if "%var:~2%"=="" ( echo var contains 2 or less characters ) else echo var contain more than 2 characters
Specify an offset and a length. You can also specify a negative offset
Postive Offset -- Outputs oob
Positive offset starts at the front of the string
set foo=foobar echo %foo:~1,3%
Negative Offset -- Outputs oba
Negative offset, let's you start at the back of the string
set foo=foobar echo %foo:~-4,3%
Determine if batch files was run from Command Console or Windows Explorer
At top of your program, add this code...
:: See if program was run from console (command line) or explorer (double click or windows shortcut) set run_from=console IF "%cmdcmdline:~0,3%"=="cmd" set run_from=explorer
Later on, you can make decisions based on this...
:: if they ran from explorer, we need to pause to keep from closing the window if %run_from%==explorer pause
IF ELSE STATEMENT
Make sure you do it exactly as shown
IF statement ( .. .. ) ELSE ( ... ... )
Case Insensitive compare
:: Case Insenstive Compare if /I %param% EQU %CompareValue% (